Skip to main content

10 Things I Achieved In Secondary School




The worst thing that can happen to any student is to spend six years in Secondary School (or High School) without achieving something that is of great value that can help him/her to survive and contribute to society. 

Secondary School life is not really an easy odyssey like some people think. The tasks involved are more difficult compared to elementary (primary) school. However, in this article, I will share with you 10 things I achieved in my secondary school days and also important that you should achieve them before moving to Tertiary Institution.




1.  ALL ABOUT PEOPLE

Achievements in secondary school are all about people. The most valuable school experiences weren't academic. They were all about people, social skills, respect, self-worth, empathy and realizing your own potential. On the sports field, I learnt about winning and losing graciously. In the classroom, I learned that doing your best counted far more than academic ability.


2.  SELF DEFENSE

You might be wondering how self-defence is an achievement. Let me share a story with you. As a new student in secondary school, I couldn't stand up for myself; I couldn't defend myself even when my fellow students are lying against me. Then one day an incident occurred where one of my classmates stole my teacher's money. I was actually there when it happened but I kept quiet. 

When my teacher started searching for her money, my classmate who stole the money pointed at me as the thief. He thought I would just shut up and let go as I usually do, but this time around he was disappointed because I stood up for myself and everyone was amazed. I clearly stated how everything happened and he received his due punishment. However, I can't be intimidated now. No matter the circumstance, I would speak for myself.  


3.  SETTING MY GOALS AND NEVER GIVE UP ON IT

I was able to set attainable goals for myself in other to avoid being doomed to frustration and disappointment. I never gave up on my goals and I believed in myself that I can do it. That's why in all my endeavours, I always have self-confidence, and even now I don't give up easily. 



4.  THE POWER OF WORDS

The most important thing I learned was the power of communication. I was empowered by my teachers and mentors to use my words to motivate inform and inspire. 

Throughout my education, I poured my soul into my words whether spoken or written. The ability to communicate is the most important skill I used when I played my role as the head girl.


5.  BE ACCEPTING

To survive all the moves, I learned how to make quality friends and accept all the students I met because in one way or the other, they taught me in every aspect and I also spend quality time with them.


6.  LEARNING TO FIND ANSWERS

I had amazing teachers who went beyond the curriculum to offer project-based learning skills. This taught me problem-solving and research skills.


7.  TIME MANAGEMENT

I learnt how to manage my time effectively. I had a laid down plans for each day's activities which made it easier for me to minimize the way I waste my time on irrelevant things.


8.  GOOD STUDY HABITS

I developed a good study habit which my teachers taught me and it really helped me. I was always prepared for class and I never missed my classes. I review my notes daily after each class. 

I also developed the habit of taking key points down when my teachers are teaching. It’s now a part of me. At the church, seminars, meetings, etc, I always make sure I jot down relevant points because they say "A short pencil is better than a long memory".


9.  OVERCOMING STAGE FRIGHT

In my school, we have a program called Book and Beyond which was conducted every Friday where you have to stand in front of your classmates and teachers to defend a particular subject. At first, I thought I couldn't do it but after preparing my Book and Beyond that very Friday, guess what? I defended excellently which made me overcome stage fright. Even when being called upon to speak in the Assembly hall, be it Prepared Speech or Impromptu Speech, I don't get scared because I knew I could do it.




10.                   RIGOROUS THINKING

I learned in school how to study and think about ideas through writing and discussion. The high expectations and rigorous activities of my six years experience will make my college life very easy.
Kudos and all thank to Intellectual Giants Christian Academy and to all the teachers who brought out their hearts to teach me, Thanks to them.




ABOUT THE WRITER


Roseline Orji is a writer who gains inspiration from a lot of people who believe in her and hope to make a change in society.

Comments

Post a Comment

DON'T leave without commenting

We appreciate comments. We will love to here from you. If you have any contribution or question or request, comment below. we are ready to attend to you

Popular posts from this blog

Top 3 Reasons To Embrace Entrepreneurship

Often times so many people most especially youths misunderstand the term entrepreneurship. I have carried out an interview with a few  youths asking them on their take on entrepreneurship, their feedback showed that they were not really interested.  What they are  pursuing is just to finish secondary school, go to university, do their youth service, apply for a job and then work in a big company. I have discovered that so many students and graduates are only interested in white-collar jobs.  They think that entrepreneurship is just an inferior and unattractive way of getting money. The truth is, am not against getting a white-collar job, but can we just come back to our senses and stop waiting for job opportunities. In a nutshell, entrepreneurship is setting a business of your own which may involve financial risks. ALSO READ: NIGERIAN STOCK EXCHANGE: Developing financially savvy mentality  I have discovered that so many people are only interested in getting a job instead o

9 Most Profitable Skills For Young Entrepreneurs

I talked about why you should embrace entrepreneurship as a result of the high rate of unemployment in Nigeria. However, everybody is striving to establish a business of his own and be independent . As a matter of fact, I will share with you 9 most profitable skills that you can start with as a young entrepreneur. It’s profitable in the sense that it can be your passive income stream. ALSO READ : How to Build a Profitable business in Nigeria.    1. BLOGGING You can start blogging just from the comfort of your home. I know many Nigerians today who are really making real cash from this. I created mine but it took me up to 10 months to start making money.  Going to the memory lane, BLOGGING is an act of having a blog whereby the owner publishes contents online. You can open a blog today with blogger or WordPress  (it will cost you some token) and you start designing, building an audience and publish original contents. There are many ways you can make money throu

Top 10 ways to pass exams in Nigeria

One of the most indispensable ways to pass your examinations is by portraying exam ethics. Yes! Exams have ethics. Examination Ethics are those distinctive qualities one need to portray in order to pass an examination. They are moral principles that influence an exam. This Exam Ethics are very crucial for bookworms who have the ambition of passing their exams. I have seen so many students that have taken a particular examination and still not passing. Some have taken exams up to 5 times and still they fail and they think it’s the will of God. So many people have stayed up to 8 years at home just because they want to be admitted to a particular university. For you to fail an exam means you lack some exam ethics. When you have these exam ethics, you won’t sit for an exam two times. These Examination Ethics are marshaled below. #1.    ENTHUSIASM  RELIEVES THE FEAR The first exam ethic you should develop is enthusiasm. Nothing brings joy than being enthusiastic bef

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget